Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Food Wars!!!

It's so true -- times of high stress can really highlight the cracks in a relationship. Pete and I are in the midst of purchasing our first home, and the one minor fray in the otherwise strong fabric of our union has become MUCH more fragile as we prepare to live together for the first time...

We're in the midst of a war... a FOOD WAR!!!

Co-purchasing a home is so exciting, and we're a great team when it comes to MOST chores, so I know I shouldn't complain about the one thing we DO argue about. But the thought of planning and preparing meals that we'll both eat and enjoy has my stomach in knots.

I'm hyper-healthy with a sensitive stomach (I'd be glad to eat steamed veggies and whole-wheat pasta every.single.night.) And Pete's junkie, hydrogenated-oil-filled preferences make me gag. He's also SO picky, his own PCP recently diagnosed him underweight and prescribed "MORE CALORIES PLEASE!"
One woman's lunch is another man's "gag."
Another thing... Pete can't cook. And trying to teach him frustrates the bejesus out of me. Not that I'm Bobby Flay, but I imagine I'll be the sole meal planner-preparer. Unless I want to eat boxed mac n' cheese for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Or Pop Tarts. He's pretty good at making Pop Tarts. And Pete's teacher schedule allows him WAY more time at home than my 9-to-5... so there's that. HE should be the one to take the reigns on the home front, no? But he can't since I hate the food he "makes."

Breakfast is served! Yum??
Ugh.. welcome to our FOOD WAR!!! Marrieds (or "living-togethers") -- how did/do you manage night-and-day meal preferences? Who does more cooking in your home? Any light (and I mean any!) you could shed may save Pete and I from the brink of #divorce! Help?

1 comment:

  1. There are many ways to up the healthy factor in any food (with the possible exception of Pop Tarts!). And no, that doesn't mean you replace the cheese in every recipe with beans and spinach and hope he doesn't notice!! You can add a salad, or fresh veggies with anything. You can buy low fat alternatives to every meat (or grind your own. You DO know someone with a meat grinder, LOL) What you can't do is make him see food the same as you. If there's one thing I've learned, that is it. Compromise is essential. If you want him to eat more veggies, you are going to have to expand your own preferences to include a protein other than chicken.

    ReplyDelete